Friday, January 23, 2009

Name Changing Post

Posts about changing names have been popular lately so I thought I'd add a short note of my own.

Sunny has a very standard Anglo-Saxon first name, middle name and then his biological mother's last name, which is kind of unusual but also Anglo-Saxon.

By coincidence, his middle name is the same as Guy's middle name and his father's first name.

We never thought about changing his first name, because that's what he's used to. We might have thought about changing his middle name if it wasn't already the same as my husband's. We were originally going to add on (my last name) hyphen (Guy's last name). Our workers said they didn't think that was a good idea, the name was too long then, and we should just drop his original last name. We went along with what they said.

A few months ago, when I talked about names with Sunny, he mentioned that he liked his last name and didn't want it to go away completely. We have the final word over that, so we're going to go back to the original plan and he'll stay with firstname middlename biolastname adoptedhyphenatedlastname. It's going to lead to bureaucratic complications, but what the heck, tons of people with Spanish-style sentence-length names deal with that already.

That's one of the advantages of adopting older kids, I guess. You don't have to make all the tough decisions. If Sunny feels like changing his name later, it's up to him. Right now he's happy with what he has.

As for me, I have an Anglo-Saxon first name, Japanese middle name and Anglo-Saxon last name. When I meet people for the first time, I frequently get a double take. "You're (confused look ) (insert name)?" It's irritating because I like my name and think it suits me just fine. The worst is when I tell someone my last name and then they sort of knit their eyebrows together, sigh, and ask me how to spell it, because since I look Asian of course it's got to have tricky sneaky weird spelling. I can tell when they're doing this to be obtuse as opposed to regular spelling confirmations. My last name should be impossible to misspell! It's like "Miller" or "Cook" but they're expecting me to spell it "Ng".

When I was born, my mother gave me her last name. My father was there, but they weren't married at the time, and weren't even planning on getting married. The hospital staff didn't understand her freewheeling feminist ways, so they gave me my father's last name even though she told them not to. She later corrected them and my social security card was issued under my correct last name. My original birth certificate still has the wrong name on it, and I had to do an official name change five years ago even though I've been using my current name all my life anyway.

All of this makes me very resistant to the idea of having the "right name" and conforming to social conventions on naming.

On the other hand, I've done some career counseling before. And this has never come up, but if I did career counseling with someone with a very "ghetto" name, I would almost certainly float the idea to initialize their name on resumes or applications. There's a difference between what's right, what's ethical and what will actually get you the job. The statistics are pretty grim.

One argument against conforming is that you wouldn't want to work in a racist workplace anyway. I think that's too stark of a choice. We're not comparing working at Office KKK versus Office NAACP. Many hiring managers are subconsciously biased but can make more egalitarian decisions when actually face to face with someone. Also, a lot of people just really need the paycheck right now. For example, given a choice between depressing jobs, I'd rather work in a racist call center than in a non-racist chicken-processing plant.

There are plenty of good ethical arguments against conforming. It's a terrible thing to give up a little piece of yourself like that.

The better off you are, the more control you have over your environment and the less your name matters. I'm lucky I have a decent job and I don't have to worry about it much. And my face-not-matching-name issues are irritating, but they've never really affected me economically.

If I had my father's last name things would have been different. My father's last name is long and incredibly difficult for the average English speaker to spell or pronounce. It inspires panic and can almost produce tears of frustration. It's kind of funny to watch, in a perverse way.

8 comments:

zunzun said...

I had one of those long Spanish style names...I started shortening it up as I got older (same reasons...I knew that once a prospective employer saw or talked to me things would be ok but seeing my name on print would have caused some to pass me by) but I remember the DMV lady being a total bitch so I demanded that my whole legal name be squished up in the space allotment for whatever software they were using...the way it came out was hilarious but it was all there...something like:juanitamariadelosdolorescabreracinfuentes. Yeah...you should have seen the look of the first cop that stopped me.

I too understand the ethical reasonings for not conforming and letting your name be your name but in the real world it does affect you so I dropped three, kept two and later changed over to my husband's not because of tradition but because his was easier to pronounce and although just as "ethnic" it was more mainstream!

Ky kept her firt name, chose her second name (which later she denied, had a bit of a meltdown but is totally ok w/ it now because she remembered) and we chose our last name. Let me just say that like everything in life hindsight is 20/20 and if I had known what I know now(personally...this is diffenrent for every kid as I know one that hasn't cared at all and later actually was glad it was changed to her adoptive parent's name)I would have kept her bio last name and hyphenated ours to it. She turned out to be a bit sensitive about this issue and we have talked about how if in the future she decides to change it back to her bio last name we would be ok with that. She's stuck for now though...not paying for a name change just yet!LOL

zunzun said...

Oh and I already see her going through what you have experienced in that she gives her full name which has a very Spanish-style but very simple last name and people expect her to initialize it or soemething. ie.: Cabrera and people expect K'brera because she's Black...drives me nuts.

Donna Hutt Stapfer Bell said...

Names are gifts the most important people in your life give you. If you have had to choose your own name, it usually has come about after a painful parting from the one you were given...at least, that's been my experience.

They are gifts.

So, does one ever willingly give up any name, given to them?

I carry around five names - the ones my parents gave me, the one my late husband gave me...and the one my husband shares with me. And yes, I use all of them as the full legal. Social Security and all.

Xander will keep the name he was given at birth, within the 'embrace' of his full legal adoptive name. Drop any of it? What part of it? And why?

Lee said...

Names are gifts but I think that they also represent who we see ourselves as at a given point in time. Non adoptively I legally changed my name at 18. At 19 the
woman I later married changed her first and middle name. Thery were similar to her birth names but versions she felt were more fully her. My eldest son chose to change his birth middle name when he turned 18. He was abandoned in an orphanage so the name he rejected I gave to him. But it is okay with me; he has a different vision of himself and the name should reflect that.

I have always thought that the native american practice of a child name and a different adult name as a result of life changes made a lot of sense.

Maggie said...

The name changing issue is definitely easier when you have an older child.

When Slugger moved in with me he had bio-mom given first name, and previous adoptive family-given middle and last name. I had full intentions of keeping his existing first and middle names but changing to my last name.

Slugger wanted that middle name gone. His exact words were "I hate that name. I was named after some dead guy."

So then I thought it would be nice to change his middle name to his biolastname. Slugger didn't like that. Eventually we settled on his foster dad's name as his middle name. Slugger loves it and he had an active role in deciding what we were going to do and what name he ended up with.

Torina said...

While names may be gifts for some people, they are not gifts when a child is named after the parents' favorite drug. They are not gifts when they trigger PTSD flashbacks every time they are used. My youngest was given the Spanish name for dog and treated like one. Not a gift. It is all a matter of perspective.

So my kids chose to rid themselves of the names that were burdens instead of gifts and they gifted themselves with new ones. So, maybe, in a way, they are gifts. Wow. I just twisted that all up, didn't I?

Christie D. said...

I loved your description of some Americans' panicked response to your dad's last name. I am picturing him now as a Kurebayashi, or a Hashimukai or Midorikawa (these are the longest surnames of people I personally know). Or is it even longer? I love those really long names... they are more interesting-sounding than Kudo or Sato. I looked at my younger son's class list just now, and most of his classmates' names seem to be somewhere in between - not too short and boring, but yet not exactly panic-inspiring either!

J. said...

Our boys each came with a 1st, 2 middle and different last names (1 had moms, 1 dads) we hyphenatted ours and replaced their last names with is but it was a struggle for us and i would not be at all suprised if at some point they decided that they didn't want the names their bio mom gave them. We didin't even entertain the notion of changing anything else but they are certainly old enough to speak their minds should they decided at some point that something needs to change.